As of today, North Carolina has had over 50,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 1,251 deaths. Fear and worry from these staggering numbers have led many to seek out testing and even treatment for those affected by the illness. Here are some facts about health insurance and how it may help you pay for coronavirus testing and treatment.
1. As required by the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (passed March 18, 2020) and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economy Security Act (passed March 27, 2020), both public and private insurers must provide free testing for COVID-19.
2. Financial help with treatment for coronavirus may only be provided if deemed "medically necessary."
3. Recent legislation under the Trump administration states that the uninsured may receive funding from the government to help pay for treatment.
4. Treatment will not be fully covered by insurance, and the extent of that coverage depends on the individual's plan.
5. Cost sharing depends on whether you are on Medicare or private health insurance; if you are on an employer plan, the company decides about cost sharing.
It is our hope that the statistics go down and the pandemic subsides quickly. If you have concerns about coronavirus and need assistance with your health insurance options, please contact us immediately at 919-328-3999.